Let's call it Fancy Bread for Lazy People.
I was in complete denial that this would work and boy was I ever schooled!
[Still hot in the Dutch oven]
The NY Times piece that first revealed this technique says that all you need is:
- 3 cups +/- (~750ml) of flour (mix and match)
- 1/4 tsp (1.5ml) instant yeast
- 1-1/4 tsp salt (6.5ml) (I found 1 tsp was sufficient)
- 1-5/8 cup (385ml) water
- Cornmeal, more flour, or wheat bran for dusting
- Big bowl
- A Dutch oven or something similar with an oven-proof cover. They're on sale this week at Canadian Tire, so you have no excuse unless you live in an armpit.
- Patience (also available at Canadian Tire for $12.99)
[Mr. Simoneau making his olive version, where he reduced the salt by about a quarter. Please ignore the yelling face he is making at me.]
[A 50% whole wheat bread with black sesame]
Oh, btw, I said you can hide stuff in the bread; I tried hiding Pee-Wee in it while baking and it worked out quite well (wouldn't you say?).
Thanks, Mr. Simoneau for the great tip! And thanks to Pee-Wee for being such a good sport.